Divider

Divider

Thursday 23 June 2016

My childhood visions (part 5)



Going back many years, when I was 15 years old. My family took me out camping in the New Forest in the summer holidays. There were my grandparents, uncle and aunt, cousin and our two dogs. My cousin Shelley and I played a few metres away from the caravan , secluded by blackberry bushes and wild trees. It felt surprisingly cold that day with a few gusts of sudden chilly wind. It only happened when cousin and I played in the blackberry enclosure.
It sounded like the wind was talking. We noticed some chopped timber on the grass all neatly cut at each end. We balanced on those in our games. Our dogs played there with us too but they didn't stay there. Shelley and I felt unnerved by the cold, and a sense the forest was so quiet.
After lunch, we returned to our play area in the blackberry enclosure again, when we noticed that all of the timber logs had been layed out in rows, then chiselled into fine points. It was obvious someone had touched and moved those in the few minutes we returned to the caravan to eat. The adults sat there in the sun, listening to the radio and chatting. They didn't notice a thing. They wouldn't believe us.
Then Shelley and I saw a boy walking all by himself along a path. I forgot to mention that my family were the only people out there. The boy was quite young and completely on his own. He got nearer to us and I noticed that he looked a bit strange. He had long hair tied back with a bow. He wore a baggy long-sleeved white shirt, knee length trousers and buckled shoes. The style of his clothing was 18th Century.
He ran towards a shrub and hid there. Shelley didn't want to go and talk to him but I did. I ran over there just to ask him why he's on his own out here in the forest. When I got to the shrub itself where that boy was hiding, there was no one there in sight. The boy completely disappeared.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting experience, I'm really enjoying reading these :)

    ReplyDelete